Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The World Our Classroom

There is a method of home education that uses the unschool or "the world is our classroom" kind of teaching method, which often, even typically as I understand it, does not involve curriculum or a lot of text books. They draw on their ability to turn everyday life into well thought out lessons.
I confess, I have always been enamored by the idea, but totally don't feel confident in my ability to provide a well rounded education with such a method. So while I have always and still do, try to make life as much about learning opportunities as possible, we opt for a curriculum.
Perhaps I am just not enough of a "think outside the box" sort of person. My son on the other hand... 
We have enjoyed a couple of trips to the zoo in the last month or so. Much to our delight, the DeBrazza's monkey had a baby, and well, as far as Wyatt and I are concerned, a baby anything is cute.
We enjoyed watching Jr (as yet unnamed) trying desperately to gain his independence while momma, held on for dear life, not letting him out of arms reach, literally (more especially on our first visit when he was just days old).
So as Wyatt and I were looking at pictures printed this week we were talking again and chuckling about baby's desperate struggle to be free and mom's desperate struggle to prevent said freedom. 
My boy said "I think she thinks she is Britain and he is America....she doesn't want to let him go!"
I was sooo surprised and sooo amused! He was sheepish when I started laughing, I said "I am not laughing at you, that is a great analogy, I just wouldn't have thought of it."
Now THAT is what I call thinking outside of the box!! :-D 
A more peaceful moment between Momma and Baby.....somewhat like the symbiotic relationship between Britain and America. ;-)

No comments: